Pooja’s corporate legal experience spans over 19+ years of successfully advising businesses on legal strategy, public policy, licensing, contracts, managing litigation, food and beverage laws, commercial laws, competition laws, IPR, anti-corruption/FCPA laws, mergers, technology laws, dispute resolution and corporate governance. After a 12 year stint taking on various legal leadership roles and riding unprecedented growth at Pernod Ricard India, Pooja was the ﬁrst hire for Anheuser Busch InBev India in 2014 where she spearheaded set up of the India/South East Asia Business Unit and served as a strategic business partner leading Legal, Compliance & Corporate Aﬀairs. She also served as a key member of the international expansion team at JUUL Labs, led their market entry strategy and advised on APAC expansion. Pooja was recognized as the “Rising Star - Under 40 In-house Counsel” by the Legal Era Foundation in 2017.
Selected Representative Roles and Matters:
• Seagram brand take over by Pernod Ricard, regulatory clearance, consolidation of entities and setting up business for the global brand Budweiser in India/South East Asia, designed route to market for imported brands. Led regulatory affairs strategy managing 1Lakh+ business licenses and category level advocacy.
• India lead on ABI-SAB Miller (USD 107 Billion) global merger, Competition Commission of India clearance and managed post-merger integration generating synergies over USD 5 million for legal & compliance function.
• Advised on numerous cross border transactions, negotiated high value contracts and managed international dispute resolution. Advised on business asset optimization and restructuring with over USD 100 million worth of divestments and sell-offs.
• Experience in setting up large Captive Center for global back office operations as Centre of Excellence in India and the Philippines.
• Served as chief compliance officer for India/ South East Asia, created implemented the framework across region using cutting edge approaches in data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence to modernize managing compliance risks.
• Successful declination of India-related investigation by US Department of Justice, and settlement agreement with US Securities and Exchange Commission. Risk mitigation and material savings in monetary fines from income tax raids, DRI & Customs, CCI and RBI compliance with Indian authorities.
• IPO listing, closing formalities, managing FII's, merchant banker, RoC /SEBI/RBI/DGFT, Corporate Governance & Board management.